The key features of Firm Foundations are:
- It concentrates on the crucial number skills from the Early Years and the year 1 curriculum.
- Each PDF provides carefully structured photocopiable practice sheets.
- Number is broken down into small steps so that they are no big leaps in learning.
- Varied practice of each step means the learning is always reinforced.
- The artwork style has been deliberately developed to cater for both younger children and older children with special needs. It aims to avoid limiting age appeal.
- There is a low reading age. The use of the ‘rebus’ device helps children with the reading.
- Every sheet provides an extension activity marked with the book logo which provides extra practice and a potential for assessment of learning.
- An amusing reward icon has been included at the bottom corner of each page to provide icons that can be coloured and collected.
The contents sheet can also be used as a record sheet with the maths headings identifying the maths covered on each sheet.